Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:43:21 -0700, mgnlloyd wrote:

Ok, so I am an inexperienced DIYer but at least im enthusiastic about the
possibilities.

I want to build a computer desk and some alcove shelving. I need several
sheets of plywood but i really dont have a bloody clue what im talking
about. I really think if the whole industry was more accessible to
dumbasses like me im sure it would be bigger. Second problem, and a big
one - the ply wont fit in my car, obviously, so a delivery needs to be
arranged but will anyone deliver a small quantity of timber to me
economically ?... i doubt it.

I need some 18mm ply thats furniture grade for the desk and shelves( 3-4
sheets) and maybe some 1 inch by 2 inch battons for the shelving design i
found online. It would be great if it was possible to buy this stuff
online but i can only find www.buildercenter.co.uk and have heard they are
expensive.

I have a list of timber merchants near me from yell.com

Is it a good idea to ring a few of these and bumble my way through a quote
request?.. what kind of ply is best for me and what's a good price?

Thanks for any help.

==================================
Since you're not very experienced you might consider using 'Contiboard'
which is a good general purpose material for what you intend building. It
has many advantages such as a good range of fittings / connectors and it
requires almost no finishing. You can get almost any size in your car even
if that requires a few car park cuts. It's much cheaper at B&Q etc. than
at a timber merchant. Look at: www.screwfix.co.uk for fittings and
connectors.

As far as timber merchants in general are concerned it's worth visiting a
few to find one with a friendly and helpful attitude. A good one will sell
better quality *real* timber than B&Q etc. and delivery charges are
usually quite reasonable.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux