Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default Making metal -- automotive trannie qx

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:43:18 -0000, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

My wife's 97 LeSabre custom with the 60-E trannie was making metal, so we
had it re-built (before we got stranded on the road).

Before the rebuild, it sort of "hunted" for converter lock at level-road,
steady-speed... around 50mpg. Sorta figured the rebuild would fix that.

Nope. Installed a dash tach so I could see what's happening. Confirmed
everything with a hand-held, too.

Conditions: Gentle, steady acceleration from stopped, level smooth road:
Symptoms: 1st to 2nd, firm shift.
2nd to 3rd, firm shift.
mid-range third, feel converter lock, firm engagement,
tach confirms drop in rpm.
3rd to 4th, firm shift.
Reach 50mph, RPM==1350, hold steady speed.
RPM's slowly increase over 5-10 sec. to 1550
_GENTLE_ addition of throttle receives drop in rpm to 1350
and firm feel of converter lock again.
Lift back to steady speed, rpms drift back up to 1550.

Above 62mph, lock seems to hold at steady speed.

This is just BACKWARDS from what I'd expect to see. Anybody have any
experience with the beast that can help me figure it out?

I think that "slide" out of lock is dangerous to the converter clutch.

I haven't installed lights on the shift and lock solenoids yet... guess
that's next.

(yeah, the rebuild is warranted, but this is a mental challenge, and the
shop's 40mi away)

LLoyd

Just a wild guess. I would suspect a worn converter lockup valve bore.
Repair kits are available; reamer, sleeve and valve.

I believe a GM rebuild routinely includes this.

--Andy Asberry--