Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Carl is offline

Default Question about making Field's metal

On Oct 4, 8:02 pm, "Ernie Sty" wrote:
I'm planning on trying to make some Field's metal. I need that specific
alloy and can't substitute anything else. I'm going to make about seven
ounces of it.

I've never made an alloy before, or worked with molten metals, so there's a
good chance I'll fail. However, I was hoping some folks here could point
out any obvious pitfalls in advance.

I'm planning to melt tin, bismuth and indium together in the proper
proportions. After putting chunks of each metal into the ceramic crucible,I
assume I'll have to heat the crucible (with a propane torch) to around 520
degrees, which is hot enough to melt all three metals. At that point... I
don't know. Do I have to mix them, or will they just spontaneously mix? Is
there any risk that the metals will oxidize from the heat and air, and ruin
the alloy?

melt the low temp metal 1st then add the others, you shouldn't need to
raise the temp above 313
indium melts at 313F $1000/kg or $100 for the 3.5 oz you need but
certainly more expensive by the ounce
Bismuth melts at 520 F $5/lb
Tin melts at 450F $7/lb

Pricey if you screw up, Wood's metal with no indium is a whole lot
cheaper

Carl Boyd