Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Tollett Lee Tollett is offline

Default Lathe mobile base

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

On Oct 3, 11:20 pm, Lee Tollett wrote:

Hi everyone I have ordered a Jet 1446 wood lathe with the cast iron
legs. Does anyone know what the foot print size is? so that I can get
a mobile base that fits. I would like one that has a three point base
sense my shop floor is not all that level.

Thanks.... Lee

Lee,

You've had some replies so far that recommend you go to a Jet mobile
base. I'm not familar with the Jet, but I too am looking to put a
lathe on wheels and I plan to take a different approach. I have a
Rockwell 46-111 lathe (14[11] x 48) that I will build a stand for and
add the ability to move it around. Because I plan to add bags of
sand, wheeels are a must. I alos only plan to move the lathe for
cleaning or outboard turning, however my shop is small thus the need
for all castors to swivel.

I really don't like the locking castors. I guess I just have cheap
ones but they never seem to lock tight enough for me. With that in
mind, here is what I plan. I will use 4 swivel castors with rubber
wheels. I plan to set the lathe height on wheels about 1 inch lower
than working height. This really is dictated by how level the floor
is. I will then use 4 leveling feet (one near each wheel) to raise
the lathe off the casters. I have the levelers already (along with
the casters, a result of dumpster diving) but you could make them from
1/2" carriage bolts. In your case, I would think you could attach a
2x4 across each pair of legs and attach the castors and levelers.

Good luck,

Bill Leonhardt

Hay Bill Makes sense to me.. I have allot of ideas in mind also.
Jet does not make a mobile base to fit this lathe other than a
universal base. with that one you would have one of the rails right
where your feet would be while working. i have seen a few that have a
single bar that runs down the middle, thats what im looking for.
Guess i will have to make one myself.