Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Tapping Question - Not Directly Related to Metal.

Not quite tapping but my local laser profiler will do glass upto about
2mm. I didn't ask what the cutting process was but they said it went
well as long as the part wasn't too intricate. From doing glass blowing
as a hobby I know that the failure issue is down to stress caused by
differing thermal expansion due to uneven heating /cooling or heat
build up fom local operations on the glass.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I was reviewing some charts I have on tapping speeds, etc. and noticed that
the creator of the cart included information for tapping ceramics and glass.

I can see tapping macninable ceramic or especially "green" ceramic items,
but glass? I suppose it could be done while the glass is semi-molten, but
how else could you tap a hole in glass?!?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244