Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gwes gwes is offline

Default profit-motive question: single phase adapter for 3-phase motor drives

Here's a money-grubbing question from a hard-case tinkerer:

Leadin:
In order to run a 3-phase motor drive from single phase input,
the user must derate the unit by 50%. This is because the input
rectifier and filter capacitors are too small to handle the increased
peak current of a single phase feed.

There's a "simple" way around this: feed the input with DC (or feed
the internal DC bus).

Furthermore, it's often advisable to isolate the input of a motor
drive with a transformer. This gets large, heavy, and if you have to
buy it new, expensive.

The question:
If I sold a relatively inexpensive fully-isolated power-factor-corrected,
low-harmonic-distortion input multi-kilowatt 310-335V power supply for
220-240V motor drives, would anybody be interested. I'd price it so that
the solution would be cheaper than buying an over-rated drive and a
reasonably priced used transformer.

There would be a 600-700V unit for the 480V crowd as well, though getting
UL to sign off on that one will be a trip and a half.

The gist:
would you buy a box that let you connect a motor drive to a single
phase connection at full rating and fully isolated?

Any ideas (or thrown vegetables)?
geoff