Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:58:17 +0100, Mike Clarke
wrote:

I emailed my MP pointing out the limitations of CFLs and highlighting the
problems which will arise in situations where it's not practicable to use
them as direct replacements for filament bulbs. He appears to be
sympathetic to the problem and has asked the Energy Minister to a response.

Don't bother, the govmint has no choice in the matter as it is an EU
Directive forcing this. The fact the Directive was written by
Philips and Osram and allows for the new "efficient" xenon filament
bulbs patented by Philips and Osram and coming on the market soon
which are a staggering 10% better than normal incandescent and 10 -
20 times the cost is immaterial. I'm sure the Urocrats were also not
influenced by the 66% tax they put on CFL's entering the EU and it
didn't have any effect upon their thinking.

My small voice in the wilderness isn't likely to have any effect but if
enough people do likewise it might do some good, as least it's not likely
to make the situation any worse.

20 million people can complain, it won't turn a hair on a Urocrats
pate. It isn't as if we elect them.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/