Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation,alt.engineering.electrical
OneSolution OneSolution is offline

Default How to wire up a RS-150BA-N Vacancy Sensor Switch with Nightlight and Manual On/Off

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 05:25:42 -0700, Long Ranger wrote:

Going by the NEC, the white is the feed to the switch, and the black feeds
the load. You are not allowed to use a white wire to carry the "hot" at the
point of consumption.

On my way to work today, I finally got through to WattStopper Legrand at
+1-888-817-0571. The support guy answered immediately. Twice (I lost the
call when I moved from one cell to another).

The guy looked up the spec for the "RS-150BA-N Vacancy Sensor Switch with
Nightlight and Manual On/Off". What he told me was more in line with John
Grabowski than that above.

He said:
1. Generally when you have a white/black/bare in the wall box, the white is
the HOT wire (not the black!).

2. The switch will work with two wires but the night light won't light.

3. It should work fine with flourescent or incandescent, even with just two
of the four wires on the switch hooked up (white/black/red/green).

He specifically said to wire in this order:
1. Tie the ground (bare) wire in the wall to the green in the switch.
2. Tie the load (black) in the wall to the white wire in the switch
3. Tie the hot (white) in the wall to the black wire in the switch

I'll try it tonight when I get back from work. He said this isn't the
optimal confuration but only the night-light LED won't work.

It's too hard to connect the green (ground) wire to the bare wire as the
bare wire doesn't have any connection anywhere in the box. Do you think
that will matter if I don't connect the green wire (I think it's optional)?

Thanks for all your wonderful volunteer help!