Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Using Carbide Concrete Drill Bit on Metal

On 4 Oct, 09:36, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to Smitty Two :

In article ,
(Dave Martindale) wrote:

Smitty Two writes:

I'm going to disagree with you here, to some extent. "A carbide tipped
drill ain't sharp?" Um, no correlation there. A drill is either sharp or
it's not, has nothing to do with whether it's carbide.

I understood Chris to be talking about carbide-tipped masonry bits - see
the "concrete drill" in the Subject line up above. Those particular
carbide bits are indeed not sharp, even when new.

And carbide
cutters are certainly appropriate for cutting steel, particularly
hardened steel, where "high speed steel" drills certainly won't make a
dent.

While you're talking about carbide drills intended for use in steel and
other tough substances. Different thing entirely.

Masonry bits? No comment.

Yeah, but that's what the thread started out discussing.

Dave

Yes, I'm fairly good with comprehension, and I've followed the thread.
We may have different interpretations of Chris' remarks, but my concerns
with the inaccuracies of his statements stand.

It's not inaccurate if you assume I was referring to masonry bits.
Which I was, but I should have been clearer. Clearly carbide-tipped
cutting tools for metal are an entirely different thing.

As for the "designed to drill by melting" bit - it was about 12
years ago, but it wasn't just the instructor telling us about them,
he demonstrated one. Though, my google-foo isn't quite up to
definitively finding them on the web. This may be substantially it:

http://www.bamanufacturing.com/sp_series.html

The text at the site says "Special Fluting for ... Heat Dissipation"
and "designed to...dissipate heat quickly"

Wouldn't "designed to drill by melting" and "designed to...dissipate
heat quickly" be mutually exclusive?

A drill bit without a spiral flute... Clearly it's not generating
swarf, because it wouldn't be able to eject it.
--
Chris Lewis,

It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.- Hide quoted text -