Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Anyone making purfume atomizers?

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:39:35 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
I sell a few of these and try to keep an assortment on hand, but have a
problem
squaring the ends with the tube.. these are the ones with the 15mm tube...
Too large of a diameter for my pen mill and the disk sander squares it to
the
blank, not the tube..

Anyone come up with something effective, so I don't have to re-invent the
wheel?

Not sure what your question really is, Mac. Parting should make anything
perpendicular to the blank. If you're boring in advance and running on a
mandrel, you can part. If you're working on a drillpress with a square
blank you use a big Forstner followed by a smaller ... but I'm unsure if
either of these obvious answers would have escaped you.

Hey George...

The blank gets a 15mm hole through it and then a brass tube glued in, like a big
pen... The ends of the blanks (about 3" for body and 1.5" for top) then have to
be squared to the ends of the brass tubes before they're put on the mandrel so
that the end caps and joiners will fit flush all the way around when pressed
in..

Normally, you use a "pen mill" to do this but my mill is 3/4" and not quite
enough to square these ends..
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5386

You buy a shaft of the right size or make bushings, which works up to 3/4" but
you use a 7/8" blank or larger for the atomizers.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3306

They're a PITA to make, compared to pens or bowls, but they sell here... (for
around $30 US)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing