Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Making metal -- automotive trannie qx

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

I'm no expert on your tranny, but have you done the basic root cause
analysis yet? Clearly, whatever was changed by rebuilding the
transmission didn't fix your problem. Hence, I'd ask myself what
_didn't_ change, and go looking for faults there.

- Converter?
- Solenoids & other actuators?
- Sensors?
- Computer? Is it grounded correctly? I have a mechanic friend who
knows squat about electronics, yet regularly fixes computer problems
just by making sure that they have all their grounds done up cleanly
and correctly (check the engine to frame ground while you're at it).
- Vacuum leak? Plugged line to sensor? Line to sensor fallen off?
Do they even use vacuum for this?
- All wires unbroken, insulation intact, connections right and tight?

As I said, this is all general diagnostic stuff, yet it almost has to
be where your problem is.

Yep...done all of that, and more, and I've pretty much exhausted my
expertice in all those areas. I'm a _good_, logical trouble-shooter, but
with little knowlege of the transmission, I'm sort of working blind.

Your list of possible things replaced -- all were. I've fixed a couple
of minor vacuum leaks - no change. Yes, even with a computer, that
trannie also has a vacuum modulator.

The only way I can tell if the computer is doing this is to install an
indicator light on each of the TCC lock and TCC-PWM solenoids (and of
course, might as well do shift-A,B,&C at the same time), then watch them
during driving. It's a fairly ugly task; getting cables through the
firewall on that car is a neat trick. It did it with ONE conductor for
the tach pretty easy with the "sewing needle" trick through a grommet
wall, but a five-conductor cable will be harder.

LLoyd

Lloyd, put the indicator lights in a minibox and temporarily mount the
box outside the windshield with the wires coming out the hood gap, that
is unless you plan to leave them on permanently. that way you save
yourself the hassle of trying to go through the firewall and there will
be no hole remaining when you remove them. The box could be clamped to
the lip of the hood edge with one of those "gutter mount" antenna
mounts. Did you ever find anyone to take care of the items you needed
built?

Jim Chandler