Posted to uk.d-i-y
MG[_3_] MG[_3_] is offline

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:22:20 GMT, "clot" wrote:

wrote:
On 28 Sep, 00:48, "clot" wrote:
wrote:
On 27 Sep, 23:14, Derek Geldard wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:49:39 -0700, wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I note that it's been announced today that incandescent
lightbulbs are to be phased out over the next couple of years:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7016020.stm

Isnt it nice to have our actions dictated by people with a less
than full understanding of the subject.

The English language is not sufficient to express my shear
undiluted loathing and total and absolute lack of respect for the
individual concerned.

Well, it's less than optimal, that's for sure. If CFLs were
actually better than incandescent lamps, consumers would already
have switched. The fact that they haven't indicates that despite
the propaganda, the shortcomings of CFLs are well known.

I make extensive use of CFLs in my own home, and have yet to find a
truly adequate replacement for incandescents. The CRIs are too low,
the switch-on time for spot-lamp replacements is too long, dimmable
versions are expensive and don't dim to the orange cast of colour
that I prefer in the late evening (I don't want daylight equivalent
at 11pm).

Here Here...

I use low energy bulbs where appropriate, but the light is gloomy and
I can't read by it in my bedside lamp. So I have to turn on two
additional lights to do so... where's the saving now??

It also casts the rooms in this murky tinted gloom and is extremely
depressing and as I live in a period property and all my light
fittings are period, the bulbs look damn ugly and out of character.

It is a stupid and futile effort, but I make a point of buying
additional 'candle' bulbs each week to stock up. I tend to use 40w and
a max of 60w bulbs only and in side lights, so my footprint is pretty
small anyway. But I agree about floodlighting of buildings - and,
Health and Safety now dictate that any area potentially accessible by
the Public (legitimately or not) MUST be well lit all through hours of
darkness. Have you notice Pub car parks, Farms, Nursing homes,
Playgrounds etc, all super floodlit these days???

I HATE THIS COUNTRY!

MG