Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Bulb voltages

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:24:38 UTC, "R D S" wrote:

I use 6v bulbs, 15 Watt.

I struggle to get hold of them locally, could I use a 12v bulb? And if so
what wattage would be best?

My understanding of bulbs is that electricity passes through the filament,
it gets hot and glows, so there would surely be interchangeability, is this
about right?

No. 6 volts is only half the 'pressure' of 12 volts, so only half as
much current flows. You'll only be putting a quarter of the power into
the bulb.

Tell us more about these bulbs you can't get; perhaps post a picture,
and what's written on them.

http://www.diybanter.com