Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Replacing Rising Main?

None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

I would have a go at chlorine disinfection first. It is supposed
to be done on new installations, but seems to be rarely done. I'd
try taking off the internal stopcock, and trying to feed a small
plastic pipe (as used for syphoning beer -- but longer) through
the main as far as the outside stopcock and using a funnel to fill
the pipe with chlorinated water. There are guidelines on how long
and what strength solution to use, I think it is 100 ppm but ICBW,
it's on the web somewhere.

Found some details, it's in BS6700 if you can find it.

http://iphe.org.uk/databyte/disinfection.pdf

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thanks for that mate, I dunno, looks like a tricky thing to get done.
The difficult part is getting the water out of the pipe before I
start, as well as finding a suitable pipe to insert.

Hey clot, hope youre around... would there be any good indications on
the street that the house is located on a balance point? I would have
thought that it would depend on water demand, so at some points in the
day the water could be 'balancing' outside one part of the street, and
at other times when the demand becomes greater on another part of the
road, it changes again?

You're right. It does slosh about depending on demand. The best
indicator is the chlorine content; i.e. the lower the concentration, the
older the water and hence indicates the likely balance point.