Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How to drain the first part of the water pipe, in the basement

How to drain the first part of the water pipe, in the basement?

I've been following the instructions for freeze-proofing the house
when someone goes away during the winter, but I don't understand how
to drain one pipe. The water comes in about 3 feet above the floor,
then goes up a bit to the valve, and then up to the ceiling, 8 feet
above the floor.

Then across the ceiling etc. and down to the laundry sink. So if I
close the main valve and open the sink, the pipes on the ceiling will
drain, but what about the first part, from where it comes in to the
ceiling? If it gets below freezing, wouldn't that burst?