Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default spin forming on air

Don't move....
The bright young men in their clean white coats are coming to take you away!

HaHa!

JR
Dweller in the cellar

Bill wrote:

Hi

I need to build parabolic dishes of different shapes. I think that
spin forming should be the ideal method but I no nothing about that
method. I'm not a metal craftman.

I have some questions about that process.

The material I want to use is either cupper or aluminium. Thickness is
in the order of 20-28 ga.

I don't want to make a mold for every dish because I won't produce
many of each size & shape so it has to be "turned" on air.

Is spinning on air precise enough to produce an exact curve every
time ?

What should be the rotation speed of the machine for let's say a 2-4
feetd dia. dish ?

Can I use a modified small lathe for that or a simple spindle could do
the job ?

Thanks

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"