ATP

Default Bench-top drill press recommendation? and what I found so far.

Gene Kearns wrote:
On 13 May 2004 18:00:33 -0700, wrote:

Greetings,

Having a need to drill some stainless steel, I am looking for a small
drill
press. I have done some research and gather that bigger/more
sturdy/heavier
is better, but it costs more... so I'm concentrating on 12" bench-top
models,
and the arbitrary price limit is $200, although I would consider
raising it
if all that can be found under it is useless for drilling stainless
(up to
1" holes).

Ok, let's start here

Drilling a 1 inch hole in SAE 1020 steel with a twist drill would be
at about 228 RPM with .013 inch per revolution. Torque for this would
be 54.0 foot pounds, 1415 pounds of thrust, and require 2.35
horsepower at the drill point. (They used about 60 SFM for their
tests.) (Machinery's Handbook, 1942)

My experience drilling 304 leads me to believe that with less than
optimum conditions, you will be lucky to get any decent tool life at
over about 35 SFPM.

You want 1 inch holes in stainless steel? Then:

Buy Old.
Buy Heavy.
Buy Big
Buy American.

I'm spoiled at work with our 21" Cincinnati Bickford Super Service drill
press. 3 HP, geared head, power downfeed, the thing is an animal and
definitely a tool to be respected.