Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Painting over poly

clipped

Hey Joe:

Got some poly I need to paint over. Assumed I would have to use oil base
primer. Was the Kilz you used the stinky oil or latex? If latex, how long
has it been up?

This is the inside of one of those crank windows that swing out. Temp
difference in mid winter between outside and inside can be as much as 100
degrees.

Of course, I'll be using exterior on it.

Thanks

Painting over "poly" should be no big deal. It has to be clean, free of
gloss, dust and grease - same goes for any coating. Kilz is just a
brand name. Don't know about water based "poly", but latex paints have
more flex than oil, so that is the tendency (after poor prep) that makes
oil not a good coating to put over latex. Oil is harder, less flex. I
would wash and degrease it very well - use solvent where there is really
gummy grease - vacuum up all dust and then use the primer with label
uses for your paint. If there are stains, then a stain-blocking primer
should be used. Bullseye makes 'em. Kilz makes 'em. Lotsa brands. I
will never use paints from the box stores - tried it once, just in case
the publicity was accurate. It was crap. Ben Moore and Sherwin
Williams are my guys )