Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Why does green wood dull tools faster than dry wood?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:22:00 -0600, "Greg Lyman" wrote:

Anyone have opinions about why green wood dulls gouges (M2, M4, and Kryo M2)
and band saw blades so fast relative to the same wood dry? One would think
that the water would cool and lubricate the cut versus dry wood, but still
it appears as if tools dull much faster. I work mostly with English Walnut,
"Black" Walnut root burl and Western Maple. Perhaps having a scary-sharp
edge is just more critical to sever the wet fibers...I don't know. Do you?

This group has never been short of people with opinions (albeit some more
reasoned than others) so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has a reasonable
explanation.

What kind of green wood are you turning?

Bark on or off?

In my experience, most green woods are easier on the tool edge than dry wood..

As to the bark, it would seem that if there IS a difference, wet would be easier
on the tool if there is sand, etc. in the bark, as it wouldn't be as "set" in
the bark?

My first 2 tools when turning green wood with bark on are the stud finder and a
2" roughing gouge..

You sort of want to avoid nails, barbed wire and assorted stuff that is often in
branch or trunk wood... It's a "no drama, no trauma" kind of thing.....

A few years ago, I bought the Benjamin's best 3 piece bowl gouge set from PSI
and it came with a 2" gouge that looks like a huge dog food scoop...
About the only thing I use the monster for is taking bark off stuff because it's
big, heavy and ugly and I don't care if I hurt it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing