Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip Kip is offline

Default Why does green wood dull tools faster than dry wood?

On Oct 3, 3:17?am, "Greg Lyman" wrote:
Resin is not a problem with the woods I am turning. There is clearly
something more to it, but I'm not sure what it is.

wrote in message

ups.com...

My experience has been the resin buildup on the tools. When I have
turned really green or wet woods, the heat seems to dry out (cook?)

Robert- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Darrell-there is abrasive material in the bark. When
the bark is cut away, I resharpen and find that with the woods I
usually work (various Ozark region hardwoods), edge life is longer
than for dry wood in the sam species. And the shavings hittin my hand
are a lot cooler!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR