Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Staple sizes: what do they mean?

Hi folks,

Here's an interesting question. I have an office stapler which says it
can take 24/6 and 26/6 staples. It's loaded with 26/6 staples.
Sometimes they buckle when stapling really heavy bundles of paper, so
I was wondering if 24/6 staples are made from thicker wire?

Now I've found various references online which state that the first
number is the approximate thickness of the wire according to the
American Wire Gauge, and the second number is the length of the
staple's leg in millimetres. So according to this, 24/6 staples should
be thicker than 26/6 staples.

But also on my desk I have a stapler which takes 66/8 staples. Rather
than being tiny and thin, these staples are huge, which isn't
consistent with the theory. Does anyone know the truth?

Best wishes,

Chris