Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default What is NEC Code For This Grounding Scheme ?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article 8qFMi.23588$Im1.3537@trnddc01, Tom Horne wrote:
John Ross wrote:

If it does trigger the new code, what are the restrictions in doing
this? Can you find where the old wire connected to the pipe and then
splice that to new wire and run it to within 5 feet?

Only if you splice it by non reversible means such as a crimp connector.

Under 250.64(C)(3), he's also permitted to install a busbar where the old wire
connects to the pipe, connect the wire to the busbar instead, and run a jumper
from the busbar to the pipe within 5' of the entrance.

I'm glad you posted that. I thought busbars only went in panels, so I
didn't quite get your first response regarding that.

Do I understand that you are saying that in the crawlspace where the
current bonding wire is attached to the pipe, you can install a busbar
right there? How would you secure such a thing (can it just be
attached to a joist).

If above is correct, then you mean the old wire can be put on the
busbar with a clamp (would that be similar to the one's they use to
attach to pipe where it just screws on--splitbolt if I recall?). Then
take the new wire and also clamp to busbar and then run to withing 5
feet.

As far as Tom Horne's comment about the crimp connector, which method
is easier or less labor intensive for electrician? I don't know what a
crimp connector is, but it *sounds* like it would be a lot easier than
the busbar, but again I am not sure what that involves.

But as far as that busbar method. Would that be considered a permitted
connection point to attach the receptacle ground wires? If so, that
could be very advantageous to do it that way.
--
John