Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Painting over poly

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

wrote in message
ps.com...
The previous home owner sponge painted my kitchen. They put what
appears to be a clear coat of poly to protect their masterpiece. I
would like to repaint the room. Can I paint over poly? Do I sand it
first? Do I need to prime First? I am guessing that the poly has a
satin finish.

I did this last year. Sanded first with fine paper. Check from a
million angles with a halogen light to be sure I hadn't missed any
spots. Primed with Kilz, painted with latex. Worked fine. The floor's
still ugly, though.
:-)

Hey Joe:

Got some poly I need to paint over. Assumed I would have to use oil base
primer. Was the Kilz you used the stinky oil or latex? If latex, how long
has it been up?

This is the inside of one of those crank windows that swing out. Temp
difference in mid winter between outside and inside can be as much as 100
degrees.

Of course, I'll be using exterior on it.

Thanks