Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg Lyman Greg Lyman is offline

Default Which Bowl Gouge To Buy?

Joel,

If you want to purchase one bowl gouge that will probably last a lifetime,
get a Kryo M2 one-half inch gouge (one-half inch is the size of the flute).
The shank or shaft diameter will be 5/8". I think I have tried most of the
exotic steel formulations and have discovered that they do a good job of
holding a marginal edge off a 100 grit wheel. Cryogenically treated M2,
from my experience, holds the best edge for the longest period of time.
However having said that, you will certainly get other opinions from this
group. But I'm sure you won't be disappointed with anything other than the
price of this great tool. It does run approximately $100, and in my opinion
worth every cent. The brand I purchased is Henry Taylor and I bought it
from Craft Supplies in Provo, Utah. To get the most out of this tool or any
other, you should have a good sharpening system and get some basic
instruction on how to grind the tool. One Way makes a great system and
Norton makes great wheels for a grinder.

"skidog" skidog@snownews wrote in message
I'm considering purchasing a bowl gouge from Woodcraft. I figure the
gouge should have a bar diameter of at least 1/2". I can only afford one
bowl gouge at this time and I'm stuck between a 3/8" or 1/2". I'm
currently working on a Delta Midi and not turning large pieces. Which of
the following manufacturers is the best value for the dollar: Pinnacle,
Sorby, Ellsworth Signature or Crown Pro PM? Thanks in advance....Joel