Posted to uk.d-i-y
nospam[_2_] nospam[_2_] is offline

Default door frames (reversing to open door other way)

Hello,

How easy is it to change a door so that it opens outwards rather than
into a room?

I think there are two types of door frame: a rebated one and another
type where you fit your own door stop strip. If it's the latter, I
assume that you just carefully lift the strip, hang the door as
required, and replace the strip in its new position? However, if you
have a rebated door frame, I assume that you have to replace the whole
frame to face the other way, else chisel out the rebate and plane
smooth?

I just hung a door and thought afterwards: if only I had fitted it the
other way. But it is a rebated frame and I can't go knocking that out
now: I've tiled around it. I think I'm stuck with it ;(