Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production
les les is offline

Default Sony 8mm DV Cam/ who repairs now?

Hi...
I have an 8 YO Sony DV Camcorder that has been having fits lately.
Error codes C:31:42 mostly. I have a service manual, but this being
a computer based system, there's specialized service equipment and
jigs needed to test and align, as I see in the manual. I'm ready to throw
in the towel and ship out for service.
I called Sony here, and they don't repair camcorders. They refered to
a local service dealer. It turns out he doesn't do it either. I looked at
the
Sony website, my model doesn't even raise a blip, except they made this
cam at one time. An online search also was fruitless............
Does anyone have sources for Sony repairs, outside of my attempts?
Thanks for any suggestions! (model DCR-TRV103)
(this raises the next dilemna of how anyone can store family videos in a
constantly evolving format. How do networks archive their footage?
How do they know if their media will be retrievable in 20 years?)

Les