Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Miller[_2_] John Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Rodents making home in GENERATOR CONTROL BOX

--
J Miller
"RoyJ" wrote in message
Nope, they LOVE the fiberglass insulation. They just push out the
fiberglass to form a hollow, line it with fur or bits of grass. Perfect
nest.

Ignoramus6620 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:49:37 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus6620 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman
wrote:
"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I
prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

Personal experience - mice and pack rats are immune to fiberglass
irritation. Infact, they will pack all over the place to make nests.

I use 1/8 or 1/4 inch square hardware cloth to block access - epoxy in place
as previously mentioned.

Haven't figured out how to keep the buggers out of the cars though. One
year I had over $800 in wiring damages to 3 vehicles!

J Miller in rural WY