Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How do I calculate ceiling joist size and spacing ?

Seņor Chris wrote:

I'm installing an independent ceiling just below the existing one for
sound insulation purposes, so the only load it will carry is an acoustic
quilt above and plasterboard below. Assuming maximum span of 4m and
plasterboard thickness of 25mm, what size joists do I use and at what
spacing ? Is there a generic formula I can use if I vary the span and
plasterboard thickness ?

4x2" at 400mm centres sounds like it ought to do it.

You may find it helpful to have a play with the demo version of SuperBeam:

http://www.sda.co.uk/sbw.htm

Model a joist, and apply a uniform load based on how much weight you
need to hang on it, and see how it performs.

--
Cheers,

John.