Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Dual sump pumps

I am actually quite familiar with these units, since they are not only
manufactured a few miles away from me in Western New York but have received
a lot of local publicity after the "surprise" ice storm hit a year ago in
October which took out electricity for up to 3 weeks here.

I am not really looking to a water driven pump approach, but rather want to
have a second electric pump operate as my earlier post indicated. It is my
impression that the water-driven pumps handle quite a bit less volume per
hour, and also rely on good discharge clearance / drainage for both the
basement water as well as the additional water they use for pumping. My
water pressure is also on the low side, forcing me to use one of their
smaller capacity units.

I'm just trying to find the best way of attaching and mounting 2 electric
pumps from both a plumbing and electrical viewpoint.

Smarty

"ransley" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 2, 2:33 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I have a considerable amount of water enter my basement sump pump pit
when
it rains heavily, and a husky submersible pump which can pump several
thousand gallons of water per hour if needed when the pit begins to fill.
The pump is powered by 110V current, backed up by an automatic emergency
(natural gas powered) generator, so I feel quite confident I will be able
pump water under most conditions.

The concern I have is if the pump fails.

I want to install a second pump which will kick in if the water level
rises
in the pit high enough to trigger it. My current thought would be to
mount
it above the current pump, and perhaps share the same outlet / discharge
pipe. I'm not sure this is a correct or optimal arrangement, or if there
is
some better way of hooking up a second / backup pump. An alternative
would
be to fit 2 pumps at the same height into the pit, let both operate
whenever
water level rises, and then assume that either or both of the pumps will
be
working when I really need them.

The basement is finished with a lot of relatively expensive tools,
furniture, etc. so I want this to be done right. I welcome any advice or
opinions, and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Smarty

If you have city water look at www.basepump.com