Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Vise jaws

I just finished a couple of vise jaws and was wondering what opinions
you all had about lining them with leather. My original idea was to
put wrap a 1.75" maple core with a couple of 1/8" skins on either side
for balance. Then I could plane off and replace just the inside face
when it gets beaten up. But I sorta like the idea of having something
with a little give to it, for a little more grip with a little less
clamping pressure. Has anyone ever tried EPDM on their vise jaws?

Lastly, if I do just leave them as is (2" thick hard maple), should I
put any type of finish on them? I'd probably rub a little on the top
edge just in case glue got on them, but what about the backs and
faces? I used polymerized linseed oil and beeswax for the bench, so
I'd probably not want to use that (I think...too slippery?)

Time for some googling...

JP