John Manders

Default Bench-top drill press recommendation? and what I found so far.

You have had some good replies here. I would second the Roto broach route.
The power to drill a hole is proportional to the volume of swarf produced.
Roto broaches win there. If you Must use a drill bit, don't use a reduced
shank one. The leverage means that the chuck has to grip the smaller
diameter tighter to avoid slip. A taper shank is better. Go for a bigger
taper wherever possible.
Have you considered a budget mill? I have one and it is far more rigid than
my drill.
Definitely allow for clamping the workpiece down well. Having your work
chase you around the shop looks funny on Tom and Jerry. It's not so good in
real life.
Remember to allow somewhere for the drill to break out into. Some drills
have a hole in the centre of the table but it is not likely to be 1".
Keep your drills sharp. This is especially important with stainless. It work
hardens real well and then you have a big problem.
If you can get a used industrial drill, they are generally better even
though the spec is the same. I had to drill a number of 1" holes in some
3/4" steel recently. My cheap drill took 5 minutes per hole. The Meddings we
had at work did it in 2 minutes per hole. The motor power was the same on
each, 3/4 HP. The Meddings was 3 phase though.
Good luck

John