Stan Schaefer

Default Bench-top drill press recommendation? and what I found so far.

wrote in message . com...

A 1" hole in stainless steel calls for something a little heavier than
just a small drill press if you want to use twist drills. How thick,
though? If it's in sheet metal and the hole has relatively loose
tolerances, a chassis punch might be in order. A decent hole saw
would do the job, too, on a small machine. You do have to watch the
slow speeds when buying a drill press, the fancier and more expensive
models have another jackshaft and pulley in the power train for more
speed choices and/or lower speeds.

If you're drilling through holes in thick bars, you're going to want a
rigid setup which translates to a heavy spindle, a big column and
substantial castings. Also a lot more weight.

I would not be looking at Sears' or Home Depot's offerings. Delta has
some decent drill presses in their light industrial line, but the home
workshop line is the same stuff that all the other importers sell.
Depending on where you are, you may be able to find used domestically
manufactured equipment for cheaper than import, this is very regional,
though. HF may have something that would do what you want, I wouldn't
order it mailorder though. A trip to one of the retail stores to look
over the item before you buy it is in order. You definitely want to
look over the stuff before you get out of the parking lot with it and
replace the belts with Gates or Goodyear ones at the first
opportunity.

If you just have to go import and mailorder, take a look at Enco's
offerings. On some of the machine tools, you used to be able to get a
U.L. listed motor as an option, to me, it'd be worth it.

Stan