Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Yet another tankless water heater question

On Oct 2, 10:57 am, Lee wrote:
I've always had a house with a gas water heater, and have always heard
how much less expensive they are to run than electric. Now I'm
house-hunting and one of the houses I like has oil forced hot air heat
(something else new to me) and an electric water heater. There is no gas
available.

I'm wondering if it would make any sense for me, as a single person, to
consider getting a tankless heater? (Having had a previous water heater
leak all over the basement, I can see a benefit to tankless, especially
since the house I looked at has the water heater on the main living level).

It's certainly not the first thing I'd consider upgrading, but I was
curious if
a) if electric hot water is really as expensive as I've always heard and
b) if there is such a thing as an oil, rather than electric, tankless
system (or would the limited amt of time it's used really make a
difference in the fuel source).
c) Would any other type of water heater be more efficient

Thanks!

Electricity is for most areas alot more expensive per btu than gas,
20-50-% more, an electric tankless will likely need 120a minimum and a
new service , unless you have 200a service, a propane tankless would
be cheaper to run, you would buy maybe a 100lb tank. Bosch Takagi and
Rinnai are good gas tankless units. Heating oil prices this year are
up alot, do your homework before you buy a money heating pit. Ng is
still cheapest.