Posted to alt.home.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Gas fireplace problem

Hi
This is a repost with the same problem, but I'll try to dial it in a
little better.

I have a gas fireplace that is supposed to light when the light switch
is flipped to the "ON" position. It worked fine for the first 10
years.
The problem now is that it won't light when the switch is flipped. I
have to remove the lower cover and push the red ignitor button several
times.

The pilot is burning OK , actually a little high but I'll deal with
that later, and the fire burns fine if I light it with the red
ignitor.
Everyone keeps telling me that the thermocouple is bad. Well if that
were the case it shouldn't light at all,,, right?
The fire will burn, it just won't ignight with the light switch. And
if the switch were bad wouldn't that screw up the circuit and not
allow it to light at all?

After the fireplace has been burning for a while, I can flip the
switch and it will re-light. Once cold, I am back to using the red
button again.

Any suggestions?

thx
dave