Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Correct position of thermostat for central heating

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:01:21 +0100 someone who may be Mike P
mike@askme wrote this:-

Rads have TRV's ..... There is a wall thermostat in the hall at bottom
of the stairs ... and NO radiator. [snip]

Is the thermostat in the right place ?

Almost certainly not.

Such a thermostat should be placed in a location which reflects the
external temperature, will not be influenced by internal heat gains
and will cool down most rapidly when heating is off.

An ideal place is a north facing bedroom. Living rooms are best
avoided as they may have supplementary heating, kitchens are best
avoided as they have cooking equipment in them which (one hopes)
will give off heat.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh