Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Electric die grinder question

wrote:
On Oct 2, 1:02 am, "RDF" wrote:
Hello gents,

Quick question..... Is there any problem using a variable speed
controller on an 110VAC die grinder? A dial or foot
pedal is fine. I just don't want to fry the brushes or unit all
together. Electric stuff is not my forte so I figured I better ask
first.

Thanks as usual!

Rob

Well, hi, Rob!

Long time no read, group and groupies!

Sure, you can use a variable speed controller on a 110 VAC die
grinder. I have one made by HF used with their trim router, and that
controller can dim 15 amps. However, it's a crap controller. There is
no "IR compensation" to keep the router speed constant when the
mechanical load changes. You'd need a much more expensive control,
stating a speed/load regulation in percent to determine if you can get
the critical cross hatch hone pattner needed for healthy engine bores.

Doug Goncz

Doug , he was talking about porting work on the heads , not cylinder
honing . I used a dremel unit to clean up the ports in a set of motorcycle
heads ... it was slow and underpowered but it worked . A Foredom type unit
with flex cable drive should be just what the doctor ordered , and IIRC they
have a built in speed control . Might cost more than just a controller
though .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"