Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Any way to make a radio antenna better? A way to pick up a stronger signal?

"hr(bob) " hath wroth:
I am assuming that you mean the invertors that change the DC from the
charged batteries to 120-240V AC, not anything associated with the
solar cells charging the batteries. Am I right?

Correct. All these installations are grid connected synchronous
inverters. No batteries. There usually is a small generator and
disconnect switch, to simulate the AC power from the grid during power
outages. Without it, the system would not run. At night, the house
runs on grid power. However, the inverter is still running to remain
in sync with the grid power. I would think that it would be best to
shut down the inverter if there is no solar power available, but this
is apparently (my observation) not the case. The noise is there 24
hours per day. I'll see if I can obtain an equipment list.

I have no clue what's inside the water district system. It may have
batteries.

If there are any clocks associated with the invertor control
circuitry, the entire installation falls under the FCC Part 15 Rules.
These apply to any "noise" from 150 kHz up to 30 MHZ for conducted
noise from the installation onto the power lines and you should notify
the nearest FCC Feld Office.

I think (not sure) that this was already done. I wasn't party to this
part of the exercise. None of the local hams involved seem to
consider involving the FCC as a useful strategy. All of the solar
system owners involved are being very cooperative, as are the
manufactures of the equipment. The water district is kinda marginal,
but without a proper field test (that's me and my borrowed spectrum
analyzer), they're not interested in doing much.

I am a past president of the IEEE EMC Society and am still very active
on IEEE and ANSI C63 (TM) EMC committees. Let me hear from you,
either here or directly to me.

Sure. I can supply names and possibly vendors, but I don't think any
high level action is required. Things are blundering along slowly, as
various participants find the time. I'll send you some email but I
think I've supplied most of what I know.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558