Posted to alt.home.repair
Laurie Laurie is offline

Default Soap pump not pumping

Art Todesco wrote:
Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:57:30 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote Re Soap pump not pumping:

Stainless steel Price Pfister kitchen faucet with separate pump soap
dispenser. It just stopped pumping... any ideas what is causing it
and how to fix it? TIA, Laurie

Might be some dried soap blocking the check valve. Remove the pump
and soak it in water overnight. Then try operating the pump while it
is submerged in water.

I've had one of these for many years.
They never last long. If you buy the
brand name
units, expect to pay $30 to $60. When
my last expensive one died, I when to
the home store (Menards) and bought the
el-cheapo unit for about $15. It was
probably made in China or somewhere like
that. It has
worked just as good as the Grohe, etc.
I suspect it will die after 5 or 6 years,
just like the previous Grohe unit.

Interesting. No clogs AFIK, but not knowing what a check valve is, I will
soak it overnight and see if that helps. Water runs freely thru all
disassembled parts of it (stem - pump - dispenser), when I reassemble the
remaining water will shoot out with a few pumps. SO I drop it back in the
soap container and nada - a few foamy bubbles.

That (&% soap dispenser lasted less than 3 mo with less than daily use...it
acts like it doesn't create enough suction to suck up the soap - I don't
know if it gets *into* the plastic middle section and if so, why it doesn't
get pushed out the dispenser.

I know it's a small thing compared to some of these big jobs, but it was a
stretch for me to afford the set and have it installed & I don't want to
drop a cheap alternative in there (unless guts is guts in these things and I
can just replace the guts part).

I hate things I can't see to figure out how to fix them!

Thanks, Laurie