Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Repair infrared soldered connection?

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:39:14 -0600, Ken wrote:

We must have gone to the same school. I wedged into the area of the
connection a piece of hard rubber that will press against the area when
the phone is closed. It is working, but I wish there was a permanent
fix. With so many on this newsgroup fixing so many things, I thought I
would ask if anyone had fixed such a connection. Thanks for the reply.

This is one of those cases where they had trouble making good
connections under ideal factory conditions, so doing better at home is
unlikely. I hate this design because it's basically non-serviceable.
I've had some luck heating the area that has the bad connection by
pressing a soldering iron against it. You have to be careful that the
tip isn't hot enough to melt the plastic (use a variable temperature
soldering iron). Even after that, installing something to apply
constant pressure is a good idea.
Andy Cuffe