Roger Mills

Default central heating not working

"Peter Smithson" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

and I see what you mean - the water for heating the hot water and
radiators seems to be linked. Yet looking at my boiler with the cover
off shows two thick pipes going in on one side and two thick pipes going
in on the other. One pair of pipes gets hot and heads off to the hot
water system. The other pair don't get hot and are linked to the CH
system. So I thought they were seperate. Is that possible?

There's a picture of the outside here, I think this link will work -

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...boiler&.view=t

the 2 pipes on the left get hot. None of the ones on the right do.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Peter
--
http://www.beluga.freeserve.co.uk

What you've got is a gravity hot water and pumped central heating system.
They share the *same* water - which gets heated by the boiler, and either
flows by gravity through the indirect coil in the hot water cylinder - or
by pump action through the radiators.

Pipes only get got (except for a small amount of conduction) when hot water
flows through them. If there is no flow round the radiator circuit, the
pipes in that circuit (the pair on the heating side of the boiler) won't get
hot. You have to determine *why* there is no flow. As I said earlier, it is
probably a duff pump - but it just *could* be that all the radiators are
turned off - because this would effectively kill that circuit.

Roger