Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lakewood lakewood is offline

Default Any way to make a radio antenna better? A way to pick up a stronger signal?

On Sep 30, 10:36 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
David D hath wroth:

My father's keep buying radios for the kitchen, but each one has the
problem of poor reception (he listens to AM). Is there anything that
will help boost the range of the antenna or maybe even an add-on or
something? Thanks

The obvious answer is an external antenna. The radio(s) should have
an external AM antenna connector. It should also have an antenna
ground connection, which should be connected to a *METAL* cold water
pipe.

However, I'm a bit worried about your vague description. My guess(tm)
is that your father is experimenting with varying quality of radios
and that there's a problem across the entire AM band. It could be
that your location is useless for AM, but I suspect that something
else is going on. My guess(tm) is that you have some local source of
AM interference, such a motor noise, power line arcing, computer
RFI/EMI, light dimmers, fence chargers, etc. Should be something in
the internet.....yep:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/interference/radio/index.htm

An easy test is to drag one of the radios to a very different location
several miles away. If it works properly at that location, there's a
fairly good chance that there's a localized RFI/EMI problem around
your kitchen, house, or neighborhood. If this is the case, then
adding an external antenna could easily make the problem worse, as it
will pickup a stronger AM station signal, but also pickup a stronger
RFI/EMI signal.

Incidentally, we have a local RFI/EMI problem. There are a
substantial number of solar arrays in the area. The inverters run a
rather high power levels and are capeable of generating quite a bit of
RFI/EMI. We're slowly dealing with the problem, but meanwhile, weak
signal HF ham radio operation is a dubious proposition. Look around
for solar power arrays and bring a portable AM radio to check for RFI.

--
Jeff Liebermann
Santa Cruz CA 95060http://802.11junk.com

Just go to Web Site www.ccrane.com
There you will find high quality good reception portable radios and
antenna systems.