Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Gluing aluminum

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Wow, I've read for years that the VW was not a good conversion, but I
didn't realize it was that bad.

Anybody who wants to see the details of my planes...
the plans and builders manual are at:

http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/...006/index.html
Scroll down to the Plans download - or the manual download.
Heck, splurge and get both!

Photo CD of construction log web site and lots of pictures...
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/...et.03.04.2006/

Warning Will Robinson! - MOBY BIG Zip file...

I didn't download your big file but I see some photos on the Web of the
Texas Parasol. I see it's made of 6061 aluminum angle and tube. How do
you stick it together, TIG welding?

--
Ed Huntress

Rivets, Ed!
AD-470 type driven rivets.

While 6061-T6 can be welded, such would never do a fuselage truss.
That sweet curve would turn into a series ov straight chords.

Ug...

Yeah, that's why I wondered. I couldn't picture welds that wouldn't make a
mess.

But the frame members appear to meet at points, as in a tubular space frame.
How do you get rivets in there? How many rivets pin a typical joint?

--
Ed Huntress