Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - A National Disgrace...Letting the Smithsonian Rot

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"D Murphy" wrote in message
. ..
"Ed Huntress" wrote in news:xHTLi.1908$hP.545
@newsfe12.lga:

I haven't fished for them from a boat for some years, but that's wild
fishing when they got going. Then you'd bring one over the side, and it
would puke all over you. Bad table manners.

Worse than that is the blood. Bluefish bleed like stuck pigs and before
you
know it the deck is so slick with blood you can't stand up.

Yeah, the puke and the blood harden like varnish if you don't wash them
off
the deck right away. I still have some canvas painting dropcloths
(actually
heavy canvas) that we used to lay over the gunwales of my uncle's boat
when
we went bluefishing, to keep the chum and puke from getting on the boat.
After many cleanings they still look like Jackson Pollack paintings.

Trout are so much more civilized. Sniff.

That's true. Bluefishing is not civilized fishing. However, my uncle was a
pioneer in catching them with a flyrod, back in the late '40s. He used a
bamboo rod with King Eider silk lines. That's like wearing a tuxedo while
you're butchering hogs.

Fly fishing for stripers and blues is now a big thing here in NJ. And I was
surprised to see, when I got back into sal****er fishing a few years ago,
that fishing for them from kayaks also is very big. They wear wetsuits and
safety training includes learning to roll.

I think I'll pass. Rolling a kayak in the New York shipping channels is not
my idea of a good time.

--
Ed Huntress