Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Liquid PTFE

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:46:40 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

In a recent thread, the consensus seemed to be that liquid PTFE was superior
to tape for sealing (for example) the threads on radiator tails. It is also
quite a lot more expensive!

Can I ask those who use the liquid where you normally get it, and in what
quantities?

I use the 'True Blue' stuff (not to be confused with Loo Bloo :-)) in
tubes, from Toolstation. It's better than tape if the rad's threads are a
bit tight or rough and would tear up tape or stop it going in on the tail,
but for nicely machined threads there's not much in it: tape's more
fiddly, liquid more messy. The cost isn't enough to be significant
compared to the costs of other materials involved.

How much do I need for 10 radiators (20 tails)?

One tube.

[Also, can anyone tell me where I can get a 1/2"BSP tap (as in tap and
die!) to clean up the threads in my rads prior to fitting new valves?]

Dunno but I could do with one: had to send a towel rad back the other day
because the threads were so poorly formed.

--
John Stumbles

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.