Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Repair infrared soldered connection?

N Cook wrote:
Ken wrote in message
. ..
I have a cordless phone with a LCD that has some of the characters
missing. I was able to determine it is a poor connection at the point
which a flex ribbon cable is attached to the PWB. That connection is
apparently soldered with the infrared technique. Does anyone have any
ideas on how such a connection could be repaired with common electronic
repair tools?

Obviously it can be done with the tools used to assemble the circuit
when made, but not many people have such tools in their homes. Thanks.

Can you bodge something in the way of mechanically compressing the contacts
using wrap-around cable tie/s and "folding wedges" from wooden clothes pegs
?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

We must have gone to the same school. I wedged into the area of the
connection a piece of hard rubber that will press against the area when
the phone is closed. It is working, but I wish there was a permanent
fix. With so many on this newsgroup fixing so many things, I thought I
would ask if anyone had fixed such a connection. Thanks for the reply.