Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Anyone have a good scrap bin to scrounge from?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:26:37 -0500, spaco
wrote:

I have a lot of brand new 1/2" dia.(nominal) S1. It is usually about 10
thou oversize (to account for decarb). If you don't see what you want
here, email me and I'll send a foot of it to you. Or, if you want, I
will turn a 1.4 inches of it to 3 or 4 over a half, just tell me which
size you want. I will do the 1/8" X 45 degree chamfer on both ends,
but you get to do the spline, as needed. This steel is in its "fully
Sphereoidized" condition, so it will file just fine.

Thanks Pete- though I think I'm just going to order the McMaster Carr
ones- I should have thought of that first, but it completely slipped
my mind that those guys have everything.

That way, there's no worries about hardening, I can just press it in
and go. Though as a point of interest (more interesting to me as the
guy with the torn apart machine, I'm sure) the chamfer I'm talking
about isn't the same as what you've got in mind. In addition to the
shallow one all the way around that you'd expect, there is a flat
chamfer on each pin that goes almost to the center of the pin. All
the flats face towards the center. It's just for clearance, I'm sure,
as the turret head rotates on a truncated cone.

It is rolling along pretty well, though- I cracked open the turret
gearbox this evening, and it's all in working order. Some spots of
surface rust on a few of the teeth, but nothing dramatic. If you were
wondering, the knob on that one is a speed selector (with an odd
pattern to it- all the way in is medium, the middle setting is low,
and all the way out is high, with idle spaces between each.) and the
big lever with the spring clip is to engage the autofeed clutch. If
it feeds in reverse at all, it must be switched on the headstock end
somewhere- the lever that is engaged when the feed stop hits it only
appears to be a brake.