Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default cutting paving slabs

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:57:27 -0700, RobertL wrote:

We (me and father-in-law) need to cut a few paving slabs (3 of them).
These are 1960s concrete paving slabs 2ftx3ft. FIL has done a lot of
building work, but he has not used many power tools. He wants to do it
by drilling a series of holes and then breaking the slab along that line
of holes. I am not too keen on this because the edge of the slab will
be fairtly visible and i don't think it will look nice. Also we have
exactly the right number of slabs and don't want to risk breaking one in
the wrong place. We'd rather not bring in new ones as they won't match
the nice 'patina' of the 1960s originals. (sounds daft I know but...)

I know you can cut slabs with a diamond cutting disk on a machine which
I could hire or even buy. I am pretty handy but do not have much
experience of powered cutting other than a hand held circular saw. Would
it be safe for me to attempt this or are such machines dangerous in the
hands of the inexperienced but enthusiatic?

Perhaps could pay a builder to come and do the cuts.

Thanks for any comments anyone cares to make,

Robert

==================================
Even a small 115mm / 4 1/2" angle grinder will do a few cuts if you're
worried about the weight of a 9" cutter. The technique is to cut as deeply
as you can on one side and then break along the cut line as if breaking a
wall tile. An angle grinder with a diamond disk used with a light touch is
perfectly safe provided that you use adequate eye protection and work on a
solid base.

If you will be discarding the offcuts do a few practice cuts on the waste
areas before you work on the final cuts.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux