Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default info on VFD for Bport mill??

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:58:41 -0500, Ignoramus936
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:45:31 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
monkers wrote:
Could someone give me a crash course in VFD for a 1960 J Bport mill?
My primary concern is for the variable speed, I have a rotary phase
conv. but would like to know more about VFD. Can an average guy like
me hook it up? Thanks,

Sure. If you don't have variable speed now, that must mean you
have a 1J, with the 4-step pulleys. That usually has a 1 Hp
motor. I have been running a 1J myself with a 1 Hp VFD by
Magnetek, and have been using it since 2000 or earlier with no
trouble. I get variable speed, soft start and dynamic braking.

I run a Bridgeport on a VFD also.

Gorton MasterMill on a VFD
Gunner