Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Installing HALO Hi-Hats for 3/8 sheetrock ceiling suggestions

on 9/30/2007 10:23 AM Mikepier said the following:
I have to use 3/8 sheetrock for my kitchen ceiling to match an
adjacent dining room ceiling. I was ready to install some Hi-Hats in
my ceiling, but the brackets are designed to go under the ceiling
joists, leaving the depth of the hi-hat for 1/2" sheetrock. This
obviously will not work for me, so does anyone have any suggestions
how to modify the bracket to accomodate 3/8 sheetrock? I was thinking
install the hi-hat first, then bang the bracket upwards a few times to
get the 3/8 depth I need, but maybe theres a better way to go about it.

Get a 1/8" sheet of anything solid. If you have access to the top of the
ceiling, cut a hole in the piece equal to the size of the high hat hole
and glue it to the top of the sheetrock. If you can't get to the top of
the ceiling make the same piece but cut it in half in order to get it
into the sheetrock hole and glue the two pieced there to make up the
1/8" thickness.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY