Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default info on VFD for Bport mill??

monkers wrote:
Could someone give me a crash course in VFD for a 1960 J Bport mill?
My primary concern is for the variable speed, I have a rotary phase
conv. but would like to know more about VFD. Can an average guy like
me hook it up? Thanks,

Sure. If you don't have variable speed now, that must mean you
have a 1J, with the 4-step pulleys. That usually has a 1 Hp
motor. I have been running a 1J myself with a 1 Hp VFD by
Magnetek, and have been using it since 2000 or earlier with no
trouble. I get variable speed, soft start and dynamic braking.
Most people recommend if you run a 3-phase only VFD on single
phase, that you derate the HP of the VFD, so use a 1.5 or 2 HP
rated VFD. Some VFDs in the 1 HP size are rated for operation
on single-phase, but they generally cost more. Generally, the
smaller VFDs that are rated for 3-phase only don't have circuits
to detect single phase, so they will won't complain about a
single-phase supply.

Make sure the VFD you get is for 240 V operation, not 480! The
480 V units go real cheap on eBay as they are not useful for
home shops. If you get one with a manual, it will save you a
LOT of hassle. These things are pretty complicated, without the
manual, you are deep in the swamp. Some of the cheap ones only
have pre-programmed speeds, you want one that will accept a
speed control pot. I put the speed pot on the machine, the VFD
is on the wall.

Jon